The Hand of Fear
|Story Code: 4N / Season 14||UK Airdate: 2 Oct to 23 Oct 1976||Doctor: Tom Baker|
|First airings by location||UK Terrestrial and Satellite Repeats||Previous Story / Next Story|
This story aired in the following known countries. They are listed in chronological order according to known airdate. If no month is noted, the actual airdate is not confirmed, and is a close approximate. (Refer also to Selling Doctor Who for expanded airdates.)
|United Arab Emirates||Nov 77?||PAL|
|United States||Jun? 78 (test)||NTSC|
|United States*||Nov 78||NTSC|
|Chile||c May 79||NTSC|
|New Zealand||Aug 79||PAL|
|Costa Rica||Feb 80||NTSC|
|Puerto Rico||Apr 80?||NTSC|
|Hong Kong||Aug 80||PAL|
- This story was chosen by Time-Life Television to "test" the US market for Doctor Who before the major launch of the series during the Fall TV Season later in the year. The serial apparently aired in an omnibus "movie" format in New York in June 1978 but we cannot find any evidence of this. The story did however screen on 24 July 1978 on WPTV, in West Palm Beach, Florida). With a positive response, Time-Life commenced their country-wide promotion of the new series...
- (*) The other US date is based on the airdates for WTEV, which was the first US station to screen the initial package of 98 Tom Baker episodes.
- This story was dubbed into Spanish (for Latin America).
- The story was reissued in the mid-1980s, during the THIRD WAVE of sales.
|Saudi Arabia||late 85?||NTSC|
|Armed Forces Network||Jun 86||NTSC|
|Barbados/Saint Lucia||Sep 86||NTSC|
|Trinidad & Tobago||Oct 86||NTSC|
US TV Guide descriptions
Title: Hand of Fear
- Part 1: A fossilized hand is discovered in a quarry explosion.
- Part 2: Entranced by the hand, Sarah carries it to a nuclear reactor.
- Part 3: Using nuclear power, the hand regenerates itself into a beautiful woman.
- Part 4: The Doctor returns Eldrad to her planet.
- Compilation: A fossilized hand is discovered in a quarry explosion.