Planet of the Spiders
|Story Code: ZZZ / Season 11||UK Airdate: 4 May to 8 Jun 1974||Doctor: Jon Pertwee|
|First airings by location||UK Terrestrial and Satellite Repeats||Previous Story / Next Story|
This story aired in the following known countries. They are listed in chronological order according to known airdate. If no month is noted, the actual airdate is not confirmed, and is a close approximate. (Refer also to Selling Doctor Who for expanded airdates.)
|United Arab Emirates||75||PAL|
|Hong Kong||Aug 75||PAL|
|New Zealand||May 77||PAL|
|United States||Nov 77||NTSC|
|Saudi Arabia||Feb 82||PAL|
- If this story was telerecorded as a black and white film print for foreign sales, the prints were never used.
- The serial aired in Boston only; the rest of the United States did not get the serial until the 1983 re-issue. This appears to have been a special one-off deal struck between WGBX and the BBC that was in addition to the standard Time-Life deal that was available elsewhere. (The BBC took the opportunity to also sell the serial to Canadian stations TVO and CKVU at the same time, presumably to cover the costs of having NTSC conversions made.)
- In 1991, the United Arab Emirates returned some of its tapes to the BBC.
- The serial was issued in mid-1983, as part of a package of 14 full colour Jon Pertwee stories sold to the United States.
- It was also sold to one known country in Europe:
US TV Guide descriptions
Title: Planet of the Spiders
- Episode 1: Sarah fears that the magical powers of the cult members could be dangerous.
- Episode 2: While searching for the crystal, Sarah accidentally stands on the mandala and ends up at Metabilis Three.
- Episode 3: Doctor Who pursues Sarah to Metebelis Three.
- Episode 4: Tommy discovers that by looking into the crystal he can read.
- Episode 5: Revolution on Metebelis Three ... revolution on Earth.
- Episode 6: Sarah, Tommy and Dr. Who escape with the crystal and take it back to K'anpo Rimpoche. WNED: The Doctor must risk death to return to the Cave of the Great One.
- Compilation: "Planet of the Spiders" finds Doctor Who and Sarah entangled in a sinister web.