|Story Code: DDD / Season 7||UK Airdate: 9 May to 20 Jun 1970||Doctor: Jon Pertwee|
|First airings by location||UK Repeats / Foreign Cable and Satellite||Previous Story / Next Story|
This story aired in the following known countries. They are listed in chronological order according to known airdate. If no month is noted, the actual airdate is not confirmed, and is a close approximate. (Refer also to Selling Doctor Who for expanded airdates.)
|United States||Sep 72||NTSC|
|Saudi Arabia||Jun 77||b/w|
- When the story was classified 'A' by the censors in Australia in April 1971, and didn't air, the serial (in b/w) was then not able to be sold to any other Commonwealth country screening the series in b/w at that time, such as New Zealand, Singapore, Hong Kong, Gibraltar.
- When the PAL tapes were converted to NTSC in 1972 for the sale to the US, an early edit of part five was used, featuring an additional scene not in the UK broadcast (Jon Pertwee providing the voice of a radio announcer). This extended episode was therefore only seen in those countries that broadcast in NTSC.
- The original PAL tapes were wiped by early 1973. The serial could not be sold anywhere in its original PAL format. The only sales were to countries that broadcast in NTSC or black and white.
- The story may have been dubbed into Arabic.
- Its final known US screening was in January 1979 on the Ohio cable station Qube...
- ...One week later, it was screened by CKVU in Canada.
- The CKVU tapes were recovered in early 1983. They were re-released into US syndication as part of a limited Jon Pertwee 'colour only package' a few months later.
- The NTSC tapes were returned to the BBC by December 1983.
- With the NTSC colour tapes back at the BBC (including the extended part 5) it was released again in early 1985, as part of a package of all 24 Jon Pertwee stories, and sold again to the United States, and for the first time (as NTSC to PAL Conversions) to:
|New Zealand||Jul 85||N/PC|
US TV Guide descriptions (1970s Pertwees)
Title: Inferno, sometimes "The Inferno" (see clippings above)
- Episode 1: Dr. Who tries to prevent the destruction of the planet by volcanic eruption.
- Episode 2: A strange liquid from the Earth's crust defies analysis.
- Episode 3: Dr. Who gets caught in a space-time machine.
- Episode 4: Dr. Who is held prisoner in an alien world.
- Episode 5: Earth is threatened by an explosion.
- Episode 6: If you can't beat 'em, go home ... easier said than done—Dr. Who's trapped in the 22nd century.
- Episode 7: Terrifying events from the future are repeating themselves on earth.
US TV Guide descriptions
Title: The Inferno
- Episode 1: Substances escaping from an energy-drilling site turn a technician into a monster.
- Episode 2: Stahlman shuts down Doctor Who's power supply.
- Episode 3: Dr. Who rematerializes in a world parallel to Earth, and finds England to be a fascist dictatorship.
- Episode 4: Dr. Who is held prisoner in an alien world, which is on a countdown to destruction.
- Episode 5: The drill site explodes on the parallel planet.
- Episode 6: The Brigadier and Liz try to force Dr. Who to take them to Earth.
- Episode 7: Terrifying events from the future are repeating themselves.
- Compilation: Substances escaping from an energy-drilling site turn a technician into a monster.