Day of the Daleks
|Story Code: KKK / Season 9||UK Airdate: 1 Jan to 22 Jan 1972||Doctor: Jon Pertwee|
|First airings by location||UK Repeats / Foreign Cable and Satellite||Previous Story / Next Story|
This story aired in the following known countries. They are listed in chronological order according to known airdate. If no month is noted, the actual airdate is not confirmed, and is a close approximate. (Refer also to Selling Doctor Who for expanded airdates.)
|United States||Oct 72||NTSC|
|Hong Kong||May 73||b/w|
|United Arab Emirates||74||PAL|
|New Zealand||Sep 75||PAL|
|Qatar||77, 78 or 79?||b/w or PAL|
|Saudi Arabia||Feb 78||b/w|
- From 1973, this was the earliest full colour story in the PAL format. As the sole representative from season 9 to be retained by the BBC, it may have been kept for the simple fact that it was a Dalek story, the first in colour.
- When the story aired in the United States, it was often billed in newspapers as just "The Daleks" (see clipping below), a 'title' taken from Time-Life's sales literature.
- The United Arab Emirates appears to have been the first PAL country outside the UK to screen the story in that format; this was on its Arabic language channel, so may have been dubbed, narrated or subtitled.
- New Zealand was potentially the first to screen the story in PAL colour in English.
- It was repeated in Australia in May 1978, now in PAL colour for the first time.
- The serial was released circa the late 1980s on subtitled VHS in Israel.
- The serial was reissued to the United States in 1983, as part of a package of 14 full colour Jon Pertwee stories, and again in 1985 as part of a package of all 24 Pertwee serials.
- It was also repeated in New Zealand in Nov 85, as well as later appearing in:
US TV Guide descriptions (1970s Pertwees)
Title: Day of the Daleks
- Episode 1: Forces from the future threaten world peace.
- Episode 2: Evil forces transport Jo into the far future.
- Episode 3: Visit the 22nd century with Dr. Who, who's looking around for Jo.
- Episode 4: Can the rebels change history—or is the world doomed to Dalek control?
US TV Guide descriptions
Title: Day of the Daleks
- Episode 1: Dr. Who's archenemies return from the future, threatening world peace.
- Episode 2: Transported into the future, Jo inadvertently allies with the bad guys.
- Episode 3: Dr. Who pursues Jo to the 22nd century and is discovered by the Daleks.
- Episode 4: The rebels nearly cause the very catastrophe they are trying to avert.
- Compilation: Dr. Who's archenemies—the Daleks—return from the future to prevent their slaves from changing the course of history.