DOCTOR WHO IN SWITZERLAND
In a BBC memo dated 7 July 1965, Switzerland was one of several European countries to which the series had been offered. The stories on offer were The Daleks, The Sensorites and The Dalek Invasion of Earth (tellingly, it was three 'futuristic' stories and no historicals!).
PETER CUSHING Movies
The first Peter Cushing Dalek movie, "Dr Who and the Daleks" screened at the Nord Sud cinema in Geneva in August 1968. This was part of a "Festival du Fantastique" exhibition, and was in English.
The DVDs published in Germany by Pandastorm/Polyband are also licensed for distribution in Switzerland through Impulse Home Entertainment.
Items of Interest
The circus special, "Billy Smart's Children's Circus", featuring Jon Pertwee in the Whomobile (which had aired on BBC1 on 6 January 1974), was shown on the French-language Télévision Suisse Romande (TVR) station on Monday, 7 January 1974.
Switzerland in Doctor Who
- International Space Command HQ was in Geneva (The Tenth Planet).
- Chameleon Tours flew to and from Zurich (The Faceless Ones).
- UNIT HQ was based in Geneva (first mentioned in The Invasion).
- The Keller Machine was first tested in Switzerland (The Mind of Evil).
- BOSS announced there were 1,584 "slave units" in Zurich (The Green Death).
- The absent Brigadier was in Geneva in The Android Invasion and The Seeds of Doom.
- The Doctor mentions Swiss folk-hero William Tell (The Face of Evil).